Monday, February 4, 2013

Niagara, 2/4/13

Hello Family!

It was a good week here. It was a little cold, and it snowed like crazy. But that's okay. Because Charles got baptized! It's been an interesting journey with Charles. I think it has tested a lot of people, including Charles, us, and the ward. People were unsure of his commitment. They worry that he'll just drop off after a little while. But we've also found that everyone who knows Charles, really love him. He is a great guy with a really big heart, he makes people laugh, and he has a strong desire to follow Christ. So there's been a few things I think we (us, the ward) have learned. 1) Don't come to conclusions before really knowing a person, 2) Don't say no for others. Let them decide. And 3) If you're concerned about someone's commitment level, show love and support- and be loving and supportive. Charles will be just fine. He has lots of friends in the ward and he wants to serve. His journey has just begun!

I've been thinking a lot this past week about my journey over the past few years. I was thinking about times I would counsel with Bishop McMaster, and he would tell me constantly to READ THE BOOK OF MORMON EVERY DAY!! And for the life of me, I just couldn't do it. I would read 15 mins for a couple of days, then I'd stop about mid-week. Then after several months of the same-old pattern of failure, I pretty much gave up. Then after several more months, I don't really know what happened that changed me, I was counseling with Bishop Frame- and he was telling me the same thing: Stop being a sloth, and read the Book of Mormon. (maybe those weren't his exact words) And I still wasn't doing that great!! But by this time, I don't know how, but I did not give up. I kept moving forward. I had a trust that if I had some sort of spiritual fuel every day, that even if it wasn't the scriptures, but any source of truth & light- that I would make it and eventually the Book of Mormon would be an everyday thing. I don't know why, but my mind just didn't want the scriptures as much as it did Mo-Tab or other easier-to-read church books, or even a random sampler of self-help books. And then it wasn't until several months later when I was riding on a bus early in the morning from the MTC to the SLC airport that I had this uneasy feeling in me. I was not comfortable. I was not at peace. I realized I hadn't said a prayer that morning, nor had I read in the scriptures! So, I said a prayer and read a small chapter in the Book of Mormon. Then, I felt better. I love the Book of Mormon. It is true, it is the word of God. And I need it every single day.

I think there are a lot of times when we feel like giving up. It doesn't have to be in our journey towards a full-time mission or becoming an every-day-scripture-reader. Maybe we feel it in our relationships, our work, our school, it could be a number of things. I am a strong believer in changing our desires, thoughts, attitudes, and then moving forward. I didn't really progress until I knew I could move forward. I think that's what helped me progress towards coming on a mission. When I was with Bishop McMaster, I felt stuck and I didn't think I could really move forward. So those thoughts needed to change, and eventually over time they did. So when I met with Bishop Frame, I still felt stuck at times and a little hopeless, but I knew that I must move forward, and I knew that I could. I could move forward, and I trusted that it would all work out. Have a worthy & positive goal at the end of your mind's tunnel, and always keep it there. And keep on going!! And you will make it. You will make it to somewhere better than you were before. And it might not be exactly what you had in mind, but it is worth the journey.

The Gospel is true! Jesus Christ makes the journey of transformation possible. We're meant to transform from someone good into someone better.
I love you all so much! I hope you have a great week. Attached is a picture of Me, Charles, Bishop Gilmour, and Elder Lee.

Love,
Elder Brett Simper

1 comment:

  1. awesome testimony and letter elder! keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete