Saturday, March 23, 2013

Niagara, 3/18/2013

Hello Family!

Its good to be able to write you today. I feel like the work is progressing here in the St. Davids Ward, and that's a good feeling. Sometimes, in any situation in life, we may feel like things aren't progressing as fast as we would like. We must realize that there are things we do have control over, as well as things that we don't have control over. So, do your best with the things in which you do have control, but don't worry so much about the rest. I have to remember this time and time again.

Marlene wants to get baptized but she doesn't feel quite ready to commit to a specific date. That's okay, its her decision and her journey. We are simply here to help her along that path, but she chooses what to do and when to do it. We've found a few others here and there, some want to go forward and some just drop off. Its all part of the work! The more I'm here I realize that we are merely instruments in God's hands. And I don't say merely to minimize what we do, because its actually a lot of work to be worthy to be used literally as God's hands. A scripture I really like is in D&C 4, it says "Therefore, if you have desires to serve God, you are called to the work." It later lists many attributes that qualify us to serve God. Among them is faith, hope, charity, love, and an eye single to the glory of God. And it lists many other attributes which, to be completely honest, make me feel quite inadequate most of the time.

I want to share a story from my life, which I think only Mom & Mick will know. Its an experience that I will always remember and draw from to help me keep moving forward. And its amazing to realize how many people share a very similar experience. When I received my Patriarchal blessing, I was terrified. I did not feel worthy. In fact, some people would say I wasn't worthy. I prayed constantly prior to receiving it "Please help me feel the spirit during this experience, I know I'm not what I should be, but please help me..." The Patriarch, whom I've never met and didn't know the pleading prayers I had offered, said as part of the blessing that I would feel the Spirit "which you have prayed for concerning your blessing." Whoa. God was speaking to me.... I felt like he was saying "Hello. Yes, I am real. I am here, and I heard your prayers. I love you very much, you are my son. You have made mistakes, you are still going to make mistakes, but trust in Me and in the Atonement of Christ, repent (move forward & work hard to be better), and everything will work out."

I am so grateful for the tender mercies of the Lord. He shows us so much mercy, so much love. Love is the motivation behind everything that our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ do for us. I know that they want to help us be happy and successful, and that is why they have given us the Gospel. They will help us become worthy. Its a process, not a one-time-thing.

I love you all. I hope you have a great week.

Love,
Elder Brett Simper

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading this entry- miss you Elder Simper- you are doing a great work! Brother Caruso

    ReplyDelete